With the new Patch, 3.1.0, on the Public Test Realms, I can’t help but look into the changes for my main class. I won’t be going over every spec changes but just focusing on General/Discipline changes for now. My reviews are mostly just my opinions and what not nothing to statistical here.
- Abolish Disease: Now cleanses a disease every 3 seconds, down from 5. Duration reduced from 20 seconds down to 12 seconds.
- Devouring Plague: This spell now has a new icon.
- Divine Hymn redesigned: You recite a Holy hymn, summoning the power of the Divine to assist you in your time of need. Heals 3 nearby lowest-health friendly party or raid targets for 4960-5208 every 2 seconds for 8 seconds, and increases healing done to them by 15% for 8 seconds. Maximum of 12 heals. The Priest must channel to maintain the spell. Cooldown increased to 6 minutes, up from 5.
- Divine Spirit is now trainable at level 31.
- Holy Nova: Mana cost reduced approximately 20%.
- Improved Holy Concentration removed.
- Hymn of Hope redesigned: You recite a Holy hymn, restoring hope to those in despair. Restores 3% mana to 3 nearby low mana friendly party or raid targets every 2 seconds for 8 seconds, and temporarily increases their total maximum mana by 20% for 8 seconds. After the effect expires, the mana is lost. Maximum of 12 mana restorations. The Priest must channel to maintain the spell. Cooldown increased to 6 minutes, up from 5.
- Mental Agility, Inner Focus, Shadow Reach, Shadow Focus and Shadow Affinity now all affect Psychic Horror.
- Prayer of Healing: This spell now heals the target’s party, rather than being limited to just your direct party.
- Shadowfiend: Health scaling increased. Now receives 30% of the master’s spell power. Mana return increased to 5%, up from 4%. The Shadowfiend now returns mana when its melee attacks land, rather than when it deals damage. No longer has a 75% reduced chance to be hit by melee, ranged and spells. Movement speed normalized to player movement speed. Tooltip revised.
- Divine Aegis: Divine Aegis effects will now stack, however the amount absorbed cannot exceed 125*level (of the target). It will also now take into account total healing including overhealing.
- Improved Divine Spirit: This talent has been removed.
- New Talent: Improved Flash Heal: Reduces the mana cost of your Flash Heal by 5/10/15%, and increases the critical effect chance of your Flash Heal by 4/7/10% on friendly targets at or below 50% health.
- Grace: This talent no longer decreases damage done to the target, but the duration has increased to 15 seconds and the healing bonus has increased from 2% to 3%. This affect now cannot be applied to more than one target at a time.
- Improved Power Word: Fortitude: Now also increases your total stamina by 2/4%.
- Meditation and Improved Power: Word shield have changed locations with each other.
- Meditation: Now grants 17/33/50% of mana regeneration while casting.
- Mental Agility: Reduced to 3 points (4/7/10%), down from 5.
- New Talent: Soul Warding: Reduces the cooldown of your Power Word: Shield ability by 4 seconds, and reduces the mana cost of your Power Word: Shield by 30%.
- Penance: Damage increased approximately 30%.This spell can now be cast on yourself.
- Power Infusion: This effect now has a new spell effect.
- Renewed Hope: This talent also now allows you to proc the Renewed Hope buff on all party/raid members every time you cast Power Word: Shield, reducing damage taken by 3%. Lasts 20 seconds.
- Unbreakable Will:Increased from 3/6/9/12/15% to 6/12/18/24/30%.
Now i know this is a lot to go over, but hopefully i can add some insight to these changes even if they are completely biased by my own mind and thought process. I’ve italicised the changes that I’d like to express my opinion on, hopefully this won’t be to much to go over! The priest class is getting a lot of things changed and new additions which will in turn change our playing styles, even if just slightly for some (And it seems like all healers.)
–The ‘Hymn’ changes are something I don’t quite understand why they are getting such a mechanic change. Divine hymn for example if I wanted to help out with healing the tank, I’d have to run up to them and channel this. Not every encounter would allow me to freely do this and not sure if it’d be all that worth it. I haven’t been able to get onto the PTR and test this spell out thoroughly but I personally like the current state of having the in capitation available. The only thing concerning me with Hymn of Hope is..what do they consider “Low” mana? And would this happen to me if I were to be “Low” on mana?..I’m sure it would but would that also cut off from the 3 players it would affect? I need to test these before giving opinions on them../sigh
–I love the new Prayer of Healing change as to how it can now affect my targets party instead of just limited to my current party members. As a discipline priest raid healing isn’t our strong point, but it is do-able! Within a heroic, group healing is rather easy. Since all I have to worry about is us 5 + pets. In a raid setting, I have been asked to raid heal and have done it effectively. This usually involves lots of spamming flash heal and requesting certain group make ups to make prayer of healing more efficient, but now it actually has potential outside of just my group! Crazy talk..heh. Shadowfiend has some odd changes coming to it, I get quite a bit of mana now back from the way it works hopefully will still be the same. His lower chance of being hit being removed concerns me..hopefully it will last longer in pve as well as pvp.
–Improved Divine Spirit being removed is understandable but I’d still like that Spell power bonus to be elsewhere. Not only did I bring a spirit buff to a raid but as well as a small boost to caster’s spell power. I will miss this little perk of the buff /sniff. Grace only being able to be applied to one target at a time is a ‘nerf’ to disc healing in my eyes. Since holy has much larger heals than us, Grace helps us keep up. If this is only limited to one target our healing targets will have to be prioritized a lot more than they are now.
–The new talent, Soul Warding gives our ‘Overpowered’ shields a lot more viability in a raid setting, granted the targets will be taking damage. Since this spell was never to low on the mana costing side, lowering the cost will help incredibly. I know for one I use my shield as often as I an combined with Glyph of Power Word Shield and Borrowed Time talents, plus with the new patch Serendipity is being changed as well to affect the shield differently, I forsee lots of bubbles in my future!
–Penance now castable on myself?! Finally!!, In pvp I hate not being able to use one of my most effective heals on myself, made no sense to me from the begining. Although the animation seems to have issues, Light trying to fly out of my hands and back to me at the same time /cringe. Power infusions new animation is also delightful on the eyes (: I’ll let you see it for yourself come the new patch.
– I don’t think I have to explain “Renewed Hope” (See above ) It will clearly be amazing. =)
That’s all for my views on things, hopefully nothing to controversial lies within this post! Now time to go watch a movie, -Poofs away in a puff of green smoke- (: